Chiropractic & Allied Health is pleased to offer a Speech Pathology service at the following clinic:
What is a Speech Pathologist?
A Speech Pathologist is a health professional with expertise in the assessment and management of communication disorders.
Difficulties with speaking, listening, understanding language, reading, writing, social skills, stuttering and using voice.
They work with people who have difficulty communicating because of developmental delays, stroke, brain injuries, learning disabilities, intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, dementia, hearing loss as well as other problems that can affect speech and language.
Clients include babies, children and adults with difficulties which may be due to known or unknown conditions such as cerebral palsy and developmental delay, or with acquired difficulties due to accident or illness such as stroke, traumatic head injury, and degenerative diseases (e.g. Parkinson’s disease) or dementia.
At Chiropractic and Allied Health (Annandale) Miriam Gunnourie B.App.Sc.(Speech Pathology) is passionate about helping children to reach their full potential by supporting their speech, language and literacy development.
Miriam treats children from 0 to 18 years of age, targeting speech ,sound errors, oral language development, stuttering, literacy and social skills.
A Speech Pathologist often works as part of a multidisciplinary team including other health care professionals to ensure the maximisation of the client’s abilities by using skills a client has and working to develop or improve areas of deficit.
Roles of a Speech Pathologist:
A Speech Pathologist is trained in a variety of areas. Assessment and management of communication disorders including:
- Problems expressing ideas, thinking of words, using inappropriate words, forming sentences
- Difficulty understanding what is said
- Underlying problems with reading and writing
- Difficulty producing sounds and speaking clearly
- Voice Disorders
- Stuttering, problems with the flow of speech
- Delayed or disordered language development
- Specific language impairment
- Social use of language and communication behaviour
- Design and use of communication aids such as picture boards and computer based systems
- Provide education to client’s, families, the community and other staff members
- Involvement in health promotion, quality improvement activities and research
- Advocacy for clients and the community
At Chiropractic and Allied Health our practitioners are experienced caring professionals striving to achieve the best possible results for you.
If you are suffering with any of these conditions, please call your nearest Chiropractic & Allied Health Clinic today to make your initial appointment.