Shoulder and Arm Pain are common problems that can become very debilitating with patients unable to use the affected arm normally and often experiencing considerable pain. For some, there is a cause that can easily be pinpointed, such as an injury at work or while playing a sport. For others, the cause is ‘wear and tear’, the repetitive strain on the body caused by doing the same manual task many times each day.
Pain can often make restful sleep difficult and can result in exhaustion. Work can become impossible, leading to ‘sick days’, loss of income and worries about job security. Leisure activities are sidelined – in short, everyday life can become a misery.
The good news is that at Chiropractic and Allied Health, our conservative care provides an effective, drug-free treatment for shoulder and arm pain with a biomechanical cause. Please call us today to arrange an initial appointment and find out how we can help.
Why Shoulder and Arm Pain Is So Common
This is mainly because the shoulder joint is so complex! It comprises the scapulothoracic, glenohumeral, acromioclavicular and sternoclavicular joints and is almost constantly in motion during our daily activities. Because it is so mobile, the shoulder would be quite unstable without the support of the many surrounding muscles that act on it and on other parts of the arm.
It is vital to get an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your shoulder and arm pain!
When to take action
If you have:
- Any heat, bruising or swelling around the shoulder joint or further down the arm
- Shoulder pain that begins while you are resting or is present when you wake up
- Pain that keeps recurring, even if these episodes normally settle down by themselves in a day or two
- New pain that lasts more than a couple of days that is stopping you from raising or using your arm normally.
If you cannot pinpoint any likely cause of your pain, there is a chance that it could be referred pain from an internal organ and needs immediate investigation. For example, pain radiating through the left shoulder and down the left arm can be a warning of impending heart attack, Gallbladder problems can cause pain in the right shoulder. If in doubt, take action and seek medical help right away.
Common Causes of Shoulder and Arm Pain
The most common causes include:
- Referred pain, either from the neck or upper back or from further down the arm, for example in the wrist or hand
- Injuries to the rotator cuff (including tendonitis, bursitis and rotator cuff tears)
- A shoulder ligament injury
- Instability of the shoulder joint
- Frozen Shoulder, also known as ‘adhesive capsulitis’
- Degenerative conditions, for example, Osteoarthritis
- Micro injuries from repetitive use that accumulate (Repetitive strain injuries)
- Poor posture and muscle tone
Why Choose Chiropractic and Allied Health?
Our practitioners are all highly qualified and experienced professionals. Our holistic and conservative approach has the optimum health of each of our patients as the primary concern.
We use a range of non-invasive chiropractic and osteopathy techniques with the aim of restoring natural balance and encouraging the body’s own healing processes by gently adjusting and mobilising joints and working on soft tissues to relieve pain and reduce inflammation
Do not mask the symptoms with painkillers without finding the cause!
Painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications can help in the short term but without treatment for the cause of the problem, using them to mask the symptoms so that you can continue to use the injured shoulder or arm could make the situation much worse. If shoulder and arm pain is a problem for you, we are here to help.
Move Well, Eat Well, Think Well. The three most important things we need to be healthy.
Book Online or Call your local Chiropractic & Allied Health Clinic to make your appointment today!